Saturday, February 5, 2011

Forgotten Heroes and the Rewriting of US History.



"One thousand seven hundred and thirty two was a glorious year for America. It gave birth to two of the noblest thunderbolts of her wars, George Washington and Francis Marion."-Parson Weems


I have had many heroes in my life, one of which lived the majority of his life 15 miles as the crow flies from my front doorstep. Francis Marion was born in 1732 and served with distinction in the French and Indian war. He then made a significant impact in our fight for independence by serving as a Brigadier General in the American Revolutionary War. His Plantation is now 8 feet underwater on the bottom of the Lake that bears his name, Lake Marion on the Santee Cooper Reservoirs.

He is often credited as being the father of modern day guerrilla warfare, but the man was much more than just a great commander. Francis Marion was a man of tremendous honor, character, and faith.  His life would inspire many people, including another one of my heroes named Tom Jackson, better known as "Stonewall Jackson", and countless others as well.

 Marion is buried on his brother Gabrielle's plantation in Berkeley county SC. Part of the inscription on his grave reads:
History will record his worth, and rising generations embalm his memory, as one of the most distinguished Patriots and Heroes of the American Revolution.

Sadly this is far from the truth. There are over 70 towns and counties across the United States named after General Francis Marion, but outside of  our state very few people have even heard his name. I am a graduate of Francis Marion University, and while I was attending seminary in Texas people would ask where I went to college. "Francis Marion" I would say. Their reply nearly always the same:"Who's she?" Several years back I had high hopes that my hero would get the modern day recognition he deserves only to have my hopes dashed yet again. I watched in amazement as Mel Gibson's  movie The Patriot depicted  about 90% of the Swamp Fox's exploits, giving him none of the credit. It seems the director decided to blend several Revolutionary war heroes into one in order to up the entertainment value. Essentially they rewrote history to suit their needs.

The rewriting of our history seems commonplace today. My oldest son had a history assignment in elementary school that asked to outline from his text book the pros and cons of the Trans Continental Railroad. I read in shock as the number 3 stated con was: It hurt the environment. There seems to me to be a systematic rewriting of our history,  in order to shape and affect a present day agenda. I believe this is a danger that  could unravel the very fabric of our nation. It is my belief that an honest evaluation of where we come from, and where we are, is essential in determining where we go.

Let me give an example. When I first started taking my boat out from the Bay into the ocean I did not have a modern day GPS. I used a fixed point of reference, namely a smoke stack. As long as I could see that smoke stack I knew where I was and where I needed to go.  Now imagine if someone came and moved my point of reference. I may never find my way back.

Our country is based on the vision, resolve, and convictions of a group of people that laid a foundation for such virtues in a document called The Constitution. The Constitution is the supreme law of the United States. These men not only wrote down their convictions, they also lived, and defended them  to the point of death. One need only examine the lives of these writers to see that those convictions were based on Christian principles and precepts. However to read many present day interpretations of the Constitution one gets the impression that the Founding Fathers were devoid of any religious convictions especially Christian convictions. Any mention of a Christian Heritage or foundation sends many present day media personalities into a rage.

I honestly believe that the current political administration actually does not like the United States as it is constituted today. They travel the world apologizing for who we are, and what we have done.  They seek to solve problems that don't exist. My feeling is that they are interpreting and rewriting our history to fit their agenda. In short they are attempting to (move our smoke stack).

I am making it a matter of intense prayer to pray for our President and the current administration. My desire is for the US to not lose its point of reference. To remember and honor the principles of the Heroes who fought and gave their lives for us to live in this nation. To repent and call out to a Holy God for forgiveness of sin. To seek the Lord while He may still be found.

If you want to learn more about the Rewriting of our History check out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlfEdJNn15E

No comments:

Post a Comment