Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Favorite Bass Fishing Trail



(Words cannot do justice what I am about to share with you)


I am about to leave the Classic to drive to Ruston La for a Wild Game Banquet. Earlier this week I was invited to stay with a group of Men that have had a profound impact on my life. Now I love the BASS tournament trail, and I have followed it since I was a kid. However BASS is not my favorite trail. My favorite Trail is The Fishers of Men National Tournament Trail.

In the late 1990s, the founder Al Odom was praying about how he could use his life to make an impact of the Kingdom of God. One afternoon while looking through a magazine, he saw an add for a Outreach Fishing Derby, and that's when God implanted the idea to start Fishers of Men. FOM's goal is to reach out to competitive bass fishermen and their families to challenge them to know and follow Jesus. Over the years it has become the fastest growing tournament trail in the country! Over 28 states and counting have one or more FOM divisions. Literally thousands of people have come to know and follow Christ through this organization. Talk about an impact!

Al serves as the National Director and is supported by a great staff of Men and women. I had the pleasure of rooming with the Vice President of FOM this weekend. Bob Eads is one of the finest men that I have ever met. Over the years, FOM has allowed me to be a small part of the work that God is doing, and I am so grateful. Al Odom and I became friends in 1995, and as I say this with tears in my eyes, he has been a true friend and mentor in every sense of the word. The list of people that have had a profound affect on my life are not very many. Al Odom is in that number for me. I want to share with you a few things that I know about him.

Al is the only man that I can truly say loves to fish as much as I do. Its a passion that only people who fish know, however fishing is not what drives his life.  I am not going to share this story in its entirety, because I cannot do it justice. I am going to give you a glimpse of it. I fished with Al's youngest son Sam for 2 seasons on the FOM trail. As a matter of fact, the only FOM tournament that I have ever won was with Sam. I have known Sam and his brother Dane for years, and I love them dearly. On August 8, 2008 Sam lost his life in a car accident.

On the day of Sam's funeral I arrived 4 hours early and I almost did not get in the building. I waited in line trying to think of anything that I could say to my friend Al. Nothing came to me. As I rounded the corner in line, I saw Al for the first time, but it was not what I expected. His face was radiant. As we embraced I started to weep and found myself being consoled by Al and his son Dane! I will make this short. How can a man stand an event like this? There is only one answer. Jesus.

The supernatural events that have occurred in Al's life is nothing short of astounding. If you have never heard in detail how they have unfolded, please attend an event where Al shares about what happened. God is real. I see Him in the lives of people. People like my friend Al Odom.

Thank you Al for being my friend!

If you would like more information on Al Odom or the Fishers of Men Trail. Check it out here:
Fishers of Men

No comments:

Post a Comment