Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Last words



Have you ever thought about doing things for the last time? I do. I think about the day I will catch my last bass, sing my last hymn, hug my children for the last time,  tell my wife I love her for the final time, and preach my last message. I get a strange nostalgic haunting feeling when those thoughts infiltrate my thinking, and often times it spurs me to think deeper. What about my last words? What will they be? Will I have time to say something profound or will it be some random frivolous phrase that emanates out my mouth?

Many times people's last words are recorded, asked about, even sought after. If you do an internet search of Famous last words",  you will get a plethora of the things people have uttered just before their dying moments. Some are absolutely amazing, some not so much, some are crafted, some are funny, some are inspiring, thoughtful, and others scary, and sad. Here are a few examples of what I found:

"Hey fellas. How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French Fries!"- Convicted Murderer James French (in the electric chair)

"I only regret that I only have one life to lose for my country."- Nathan Hale- Revolutionary War Spy

"Love one another"- George Harrison - Beatles guitarist

"Nancy, I want you to know my last thoughts are of you" - PT Barnum said to his wife.

" I do not believe in my death"- Salvador Dali

"It is well, I die hard, but I am not afraid to go."- George Washington

"Let us pass over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees." - Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"Damn it! Don't you dare ask God to help me!"- Joan Crawford (screamed at her praying housekeeper)

 One day whether we believe it or not, all of us will do everything we do for the last time.  We will all utter the last words we ever will. The Bible tells us that our words are a good indication of what is truly in our hearts. I hope we will all be careful of what we say, for those words could be our last!













No comments:

Post a Comment