Sunday, December 22, 2013

Why I am "Happy Happy Happy" that Phil Robertson got suspended by A&E!




I hope you will excuse the pun, but anyone who knows Chris Wells knows that I am not afraid to call .....ummmm ....."A duck a duck". Furthermore any of you who follow me on social media knows that few years ago I called Phil Robertson out for making a Bennelli Shotgun commercial that used a sexily clad young lady to sell shotguns. However with that being said I hope you will take time to read why I'm glad that Phil Robertson got suspended by A&E to the end.

Just before World War 2 the United States of America was sitting on the sidelines as Europe battled evil for its very life. While the US publicly agreed with Europe in principle, little or no action was taken at all. The US was content to live in a neutral don't get anyone upset way of life. That all changed December 7, 1941 when the Japanese air force shook our nation to its very core. The wake up call shaped an entire generation of people that responded in such an overwhelmingly heroic fashion they have since been heralded as "The Greatest Generation".

The Christian Community needs just such a wake up call. Now let me dial back and say that I am not at  all equating the firing of a TV personality to Pearl Harbor. I am also not in the least worried about Phil Robertson having a job. I do think however that what has happened is a good thing and can serve as a alarm for Christians to see its time to wake up. Our world is doing just what the Word of God always says it will do:... hate the followers of Jesus.

It never ceases to amaze me how often the Christian community is shocked when "The World" shows its true colors. Listen to what Jesus says in John  15:18 "if the world hates you, keep in mind it hated me first". Mark 13:13 "Everyone will hate you because of me. but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. Listen to the NLT on Matthew 10:22 "And all the nations will hate you because you are my followers"...

Our Current America preaches tolerance for everyone except the followers of Jesus. It champions freedom of speech to EVERYONE except those who would say sin is sin. It shouts the benefits of CHANGE as long as that change doesn't involve repentance. It praises the virtues of having faith in a god as long as that god is not the HOLY God.

Yeah I think what happened to Phil is a good thing, and this is why I'm Happy Happy Happy it happened:

1) It shows when you are persecuted for standing with Jesus you are doing something right

The book of James begins by saying: "Dear brothers and sisters when trouble comes your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy"...

2) It shows when people are publicly persecuted for Christ it's often in preparation for coming awakening.

I don't believe it was a coincidence that in the book of Acts it mentions that a young man named Saul stood and watched as Stephen was stoned. I'm hoping Men see it's time to wake up.

3) It shows what happens when Real Men follow Jesus   

God doesn't need any of us. However,  the Bible says He chooses to use those whose hearts are completely His. Today's men are washed to and fro by the tide of society, and it is such a refreshing contrast when we see real men who cannot be moved. That only comes from following Jesus.

4) It shows Phil Robertson is in the safest place He can be. The center of the will of God

The Duck commander has yielded his life to the "Life Commander". There is no safer place a man can be. 

Have you yielded your life to Christ? My prayer is that with the suspension of  Phil, that God will use this to bring many people into relationship with Himself and that makes me "Happy Happy Happy"!



*Chris Wells is a Full time speaker and Chaplain for the BASS Elite Series. To find out more about how to get Chris to your church go to www.chriswells.org or call at 864-414-9453.




No comments:

Post a Comment