Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Rising cost of Fuel!



If you see my big Bass truck on the way to a speaking engagement, look closely because you will probably be entertained or at least disturbed! The reason for that is because I love to worship God as I travel down the road, and it usually involves praise music.......LOUD praise music. A number of years ago I made a great discovery that most Christians have heard about, but often times underestimate the power of putting into place. What's the discovery? Lean in and Listen..............True Worship "Fuels" the Christian life. When Christ is the focal point of adoration and praise, His Spirit activates power! This fact can change our lives. Let me explain.

Recently I was in Louisiana for the BASS Classic. On the Saturday of the Classic I had a Wildgame Banquet In Ruston La. As I made the 5 hour drive to up North, I felt tired. I was in the middle of a 13 day road trip away from my family, about to make a 21 day trip and I my focus was totally on me. Then it happened. I was turning the dial on my radio when a song caught my attention. I knew that I had heard it before but it the sound was a bit different. The radio voice says " for the next 2 hours we will be hearing from the recently released "Back to the Rock" album by Petra." When Christ introduced Himself to my heart, Petra was the only contemporary music group that had made any type of real impact in the world. The were the pioneers of the new wave of Christian music. I was introduced to Petra's music the week after I came to know Christ. Their music made a profound impact on my life.

As I drove and listened I began to sing along and praise God. Pretty soon my focus was totally off of me and totally on Him, and my entire outlook on life began to change. As I worshiped in song the Spirit of God began to fill me up. Song number 4 is entitled Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows. I listened to the words, pulled my car over and came undone! I sat in silence and wept realizing that the God of the universe lives in me! Not because I deserved it, but because while I was a sinner, he loved me. I get to tell people about Jesus! In the silence, God spoke to my heart! Chris you GET  to tell people about my Son!

I have to tell you that night and the next Sunday God's Spirit made His presence felt in my life! He moved in amazing ways that weekend! Here are some things that I learned:
1) Worship is essential- If you do not worship, you will not be filled up. My truck can be clean, look shiny, be perfectly maintained, but without fuel its going nowhere. It's the same with worship.
2) Worship costs- It takes time and effort to truly worship. The Bible speaks of the sacrifice of praise. Most Church goers won't pay the price.
3) Worship is why we were created. When we worship something inside radiates.....Yes! We function at our optimum level when worship is accomplished.

If you are feeling sluggish in your Christian Walk, it may be time to check your Fuel gage! Pull into the presence of God and let worship fill you up. It's fuel worth buying!

3 comments:

  1. Worship - "...the missing jewel in modern evangelicalism." AW Tozer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Digging a ways back here, but I've read through some of your recent blog posts now. Petra has long been one of my favorite Christian rock bands ever! :-) And "Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows" is a powerful song. It is a song that convicts and moves me from just being "asleep in the light" as Keith Green once sang, to being the church that Jesus calls us to be- accepting of all and reaching out to all with His love. And I saw that you mentioned Steve Camp here too- cool! I like some of his music too and his stance on some things- I think Keith Green and Rich Mullins shared some of his concerns regarding the artist being lifted up rather than The Lord. Anyway, glad to find someone else who likes some of these classic Christian artists and who has such a powerful heart for reaching out in Jesus' name. God bless :-)

    ReplyDelete